[ontolog-forum] misunderstandings about OntoClean

To: Ontolog forum <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Claudio Cardone <c.cardone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:08:53 +0200
Studying the OntoClean methodology, I think I have found some matter of
misunderstanding. I try to explain my point of view,  please give me
some feedbacks, because I'm a novice here:    (01)

In the OntoClean papers (e.g. see
http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/resource/presentation/OntoClean--ChrisWelty_20041118/guarinowelty_final_v4.pdf    (02)

<http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/resource/presentation/OntoClean--ChrisWelty_20041118/guarinowelty_final_v4.pdf>)    (03)

rigid, non rigid and anti-rigid metaproperties are assigned to each
class (property) of a given taxonomy, isolating it from the others and
studying its meaning.
It seems to me that I can define a non rigid or an anti-rigid class only
if I have a rigid class of reference that has some identity criteria. In
fact, i can't say that "student" is an anti-rigid property if i don't
have in my mind the concept of human as a rigid class with some identity
criteria. To say that some instance of "student" can change and become
something else without disappearing i need to know that the instance
holds its identity because it belongs to another rigid property (that
necessarily subsumes "student"). So it can be misunderstanding to assign
the non-rigidity or anti-rigidity to one property if first we haven't
found a +R and +O (or +I) class that includes all the instances of that
property. Instead, it seems that I can always say if a class is rigid,
because I "state" its rigidity in my given world, choosing a point of
view, except if I have already chosen another point of view: for
example, I can state that a student is a rigid class, except if I had
already defined "human" as a non rigid class, according to the
ontoclean's rules.    (04)

In the OntoClean papers the above mentioned difference between rigidity
and non/anti rigidity assignment is not underlined, so may be that this
has contributed for some misunderstanding in the use of the methodology.
What do you think about?    (05)

Thank you    (06)

Claudio    (07)