Re: [ontolog-forum] Please Stay Relevant & E-mail Filtering [was - Re: C

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 14:05:02 -0500
On Aug 17, 2007, at 9:29 AM, Bill Andersen wrote:
> On Aug 17, 2007, at 05:10 , John A. Bateman wrote:
>> Thanks Peter for this...
>>
>>> I concur with Pat, and would urge that people consciously assess i
>>
>> I certainly had the impression of late that the
>> list was going the way of the old SUO list. Seems
>> like when such a list dies off the style
>> of discussion finds a new home.... I am amazed
>> that some folks seem to have the time to do
>> nothing else than post messages.
>>
>> I've no idea what can be done about this, or,
>> in the end, if something should be done about it:
>> if that's what most of the members of the list
>> want to use a list for ....
>>
>> Perhaps changing the medium entirely from email
>> list to WiKi, where it is not quite so easy
>> to send in broadcast mode but people can follow
>> discussions if they want?
>>
>> Best,
>> John B.
>
> John,
>
> I concur, having witnessed the death of SUO.  Well said.
>
>       .bill    (01)

More disturbing still, the same forces are at work.  I don't,
however, think a Wiki is the best solution; indeed, it seems to me
that those with the time and energy to flood a mailing list would be
the ones most likely to take the time to add to a Wiki.  Wikis also
lack the energy and immediacy of a good mailing list.  Rather, once
again, I'd encourage everyone to try to keep the list alive by (a)
not posting or responding to messages you think might be irrelevant
to the goals stated in the ontolog-forum charter (http://
ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidB) and (b) defining
mail filters that automatically trash mail from posters whose msgs
seem largely irrelevant to the charter.    (02)

-chris    (03)