Re: [ontolog-forum] Model or Reality

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jerry Hobbs <hobbs@xxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 09:47:35 -0700
If you think of a single effect this sort of makes sense.  Consider
causality relationships amongst multiple events.  These get quite difficult
to digest in terms of understanding timelines as things that are apparently
not directly connected can still have a lasting effect/cause on other
events.    (01)

Anyone who has been in a bad marriage has of course been forced to study
events being brought up from the distant past and stated as causes for the
current context.    (02)

;-)    (03)

On 8/10/07 2:20 PM, "Pat Hayes" <phayes@xxxxxxx> wrote:    (04)

>> Pat,
>>
>>>  Do you know anything at all about quantum physics, or indeed physics
>>>  generally? Find me a place in, say, Feynman's 'lectures on physics'
>>>  (or choose your favorite text from the last 50 years) where causality
>>>  plays any kind of explanatory role in modern physics.
>>
>> Causality slips in in the guise of force, which is central.
>
> Nah, not classical causality. The cause is always before the effect,
> right? Well, suppose you push against a wall. The wall pushes back
> (Newton 2nd law), which is why nothing moves. Did your force cause
> the reaction force? Seems intuitively clear that it did. But it can't
> possibly precede it, unless the wall moved and then moved back.
>
> BTW, I didn't know you were reading this stuff, Jerry. Id better be
> more careful what I say :-)
>
> Pat
>
>> -- Jerry
>     (05)