Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology, Information Models and the 'Real World': C

To: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>, Ontolog Forum <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Waclaw Kusnierczyk <Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 10:49:10 +0200
Pat Hayes wrote:
>> And, I guess,
>>
>> "the 'continuous present' indicated by the English 'ing' ending, as in
>> It is raining, means that the proposition 'rains' is true throughout
>> some interval containing 'now'" [IKL guide]
>>
>> should be read as
>>
>> "the 'continuous present' indicated by the English 'ing' ending, as in
>> It is raining, means that the false proposition 'rains' stands in the
>> ist relation to some interval containing 'now'"?
>
> Why do you assume that 'rains' is logically false? I have no idea what
> its actual logical truth-value is;     (01)

because I take    (02)

(that (rains))    (03)

to be a proposition that it rains, without any indexicals, that is, that
it rains everywhere, at all times.  Or how should it be understood?    (04)

> but in any case that would be
> irrelevant to its *contextual* truth, which is modelled in IKL by the
> ist relation. "True throughout an interval" and "standing in the ist
> relation to an interval" are just two ways to say the same thing. Or
> perhaps, if you feel that truth at a time is something fundamental, by
> all means say that the ist-formulation is IKL's way of modelling or
> describing or representing the notion of truth at a time.    (05)

But are we not taking a round here, saying that (ist c p) *does* mean
that p *is true* in c, even if it is false?    (06)

vQ    (07)