[ontolog-forum] Upper Level Ontology - can it accommodate Inference?

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Charles D Turnitsa <CTurnits@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 14:30:39 -0400
This may be a bit naive, but if any of the current methods for representing
an ontology could be applied for an upper level ontology, how is inferred
meaning handled?    (01)

A speaker may infer meaning that a listener has no problem understanding
(this happens in natural language all the time - as Lewis Carroll
suggested, and as the adoption of terms from euphemism, slang, jargon, and
innuendo continue to show).    (02)

In the information science world, research into emergent behaviors may
prove that automata are also capable of generating an inferred meaning (I
am thinking of some of the research from Adam Smith from University of
Edinburgh) attached to existing terms.    (03)

>From recent conversations here with John Sowa, I have eagerly started
reading into semantic theories that accommodate views of "alternate
possible worlds" - and Dunn's semantics seems to be very handy to describe
this sort of situation.  But how would you apply Dunn to the case where new
instances of either w, M, or L can be generated by automata?  Is it still
applicable?  And if it is, and this situation is possible, how what sort of
ontological representation capability would be required to accommodate
this?    (04)

This question is particularly of interest to me, as I pursue research into
ontology merging.  For instance, if we take the blueprint of merging from
Hitzler, et al, ("What is Ontology Merging?") where category theory can
accommodate a "push out" ontology from two merged ontologies - this is very
nice if both original ontologies are well understood and represented.  But
in the case I described above, where emergent behavior leads to newly
inferred meaning behind terms, you come up with an ontology that is NOT
well understood and represented - yet it seems as if it would be clearly
desirable to understand what a merged ontology that results from the
combination of such a "emergent ontology" with an existing ontology.    (05)

Chuck    (06)

Charles Turnitsa
Project Scientist
Virginia Modeling, Analysis & Simulation Center
Old Dominion University Research Foundation
(757) 638-6315 (voice)
cturnits@xxxxxxx    (07)