Re: [ontolog-forum] A "common basis"

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cassidy, Patrick J." <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 15:28:12 -0400
John raises an important issue:    (01)

> But if you mean detailed theories, nobody is *claiming* that
> it's impossible.  It has been *proved* that physics as a whole
> does not have a consistent foundation.  And every field other
> than physics is in even worse shape.
>     (02)

   Of course, there will be theories of the real world whose models are
logically incompatible with each other. That's why they can be
represented as ***theories*** and not accepted as the basis for the
conceptual defining vocabulary.  In this sense, yes, the conceptual
defining vocabulary will be underspecified in the sense that it will
not **include** any of the theories of physics that are inconsistent,
but will be able to **describe** those theories.  I do have protons and
neutrons as constituents of (most) atomic nuclei in my ontology -- is
there any serious debate about that?  If so, it may be possible to
remove that "theory" and still have an adequate defining vocabulary.
The answer *must* be determined by trying it.    (03)

In fact, if we didn't have a common set of accepted linguistic and
mathematical meanings, we wouldn't be able to coherently demonstrate
that different theories are inconsistent.    (04)

There is a big difference between having a vocabulary that allows us to
describe precisely different theories and their effects, and actually
believing that the models behind those theories are a full description
of the real world.  There is no need to make such a confusion.  Adam
Pease has pointed out that a lot of comments about how "one can't have
one consistent ontology" actually resolve into differences over
representations of the real world that can and must be resolved
experimentally, and have no relevance to the issue of what fundamental
concepts are needed to formulate those theories.    (05)

Inconsistent physics theories will be described adequately by the
conceptual defining vocabulary, and represented in some domain ontology
as inconsistent **theories**.    (06)

Pat    (07)

Patrick Cassidy
CNTR-MITRE