Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology, Information Models and the 'Real World': C

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cassidy, Patrick J." <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 22:57:01 -0400
John, PatH:
   I have been "loosely" using context as an argument in a
"holdsInContext" relation, which gives propositions of the form:
    (holdsInContext ?Prop ?Context)    (01)

 . . .  and a proposition that holds in one context does not
necessarily hold in another.    (02)

 This is somewhat off the topic of whether an identifier means the same
thing in different contexts (I prefer that they do, and use
context/namespace prefixes to address clashes).    (03)

But I am very concerned about what can be stated about the preservation
of truth between contexts.
For example, if a "context" is a time interval in the real world, what
is true in one time interval may not be true in another.  However, some
things tend to remain true for long periods of time, such as the
location of Mount Rushmore; and other things tend to remain true in
every spatial context (e.g. the number of protons in an oxygen
nucleus).  Has there been any discussion of how to address
cross-context preservation of truth in a formal manner?    (04)

Pat    (05)

Patrick Cassidy
CNTR-MITRE
260 Industrial Way West