Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology, Information Models and the 'Real World'

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Waclaw Kusnierczyk <Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 10:08:14 +0200
PH:    (01)

> Our IKRIS project made a small start on this. In
> IKL, all character strings are in the domain and
> they are all 'potential' names. A string gets to
> be a name when it is used as one in the language,
> ie when it is used in a formula. For those, we
> have a special rule that relates the name's
> meaning to the name OF the name. Its very simple:
> if you give a character sting as an argument to
> the special function tnb (thing named by), its
> value is required to be whatever that character
> string would denote if you were to use it as a
> name. Formally,
>
> (= (tnb 'name') name)    (02)

Clearly, but you either have to assume a single global context (for
'name' to always denote the same entity), or, having admitted local
contexts -- some sort of lexical or other scoping -- you leave way for a
name to denote different entities.    (03)

For example, you may have two contexts c1 and c2 such that (= (tnb
'name') name) evaluates to true in both of them, 'name' as in c1 =
'name' as in c2 (trivially), yet name as in c1 != name as in c2.    (04)

Simply put:  the rule that 'e' should always mean e may be satisfied
even if 'e' denotes different entities (on different occasions of use).    (05)

vQ    (06)