Re: [ontolog-forum] {Disarmed} Re: OWL and lack of identifiers

To: Waclaw Kusnierczyk <Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Ontolog Forum <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 14:18:47 -0500

>>>Hold on.  It is not whether something is a string or not which
>>>counts, but how it is to be interpreted.  Of course, "August 16"
>>>can be an identifier for anything you may wish.  But it is a
>>>string, not a date.
>>
>>It *is* a string, of course. It *identifies* a date. You said it
>>was not an identifier, not that it was not a date.
>
>Yes, and I said that because this follows from RDF specs.  A literal
>string appearing as the object of a triple is treated as a literal,
>i.e, as a self-referential entity, rather than an identifier for
>some other entity.  In this context, "August 16" is not an
>identifier for a date, it is an identifier for itself.  Is this
>better?    (01)

In the RDF model theory, it denotes itself. But it may also be an
identifier for something else, using a system of identification
external to RDF.    (02)

>>>But as the object of a triple, "August 16" is a literal, not a
>>>URI, and in RDF, a literal is (supposed to be) self-referential.
>>
>>Plain literals, yes. It would indeed be better practice to have the
>>object of that triple be a typed literal. But this is an example
>>from the *primer*; one step at a time.
>>
>>>  Thus, the denotation of "August 16" is "August 16", not a date.  Thus,
>>>
>>><u1> <u2> "August 16"
>>>
>>>effectively means that the denotation of u1 is in the denotation
>>>of u2-relation with "August 16" (the string), not with a date.
>>
>>But that string can be interpreted as denoting a date, using widely
>>used conventions for denoting dates. So this is a perfectly valid
>>RDF extension, speaking strictly, where 'extra' semantic conditions
>>are imposed (in this case, that the date-string is interpreted
>>conventionally). We anticipated that RDF would be widely used with
>>such conventions added.
>
>Can't see how this would be a good practice;  for a dumb machine,
>you leave the question:  is "August 16" supposed to identify a date
>(or whatever else), or is it supposed to identify "August 16"?    (03)

The RDF machine, which is unusually dumb, can't tell. (It also
doesn't know that owl:sameAs means anything in particular, for
example.) But other entities using the formalism - some of which may
be machines which know other conventions - may. RDF isn't supposed to
be an AI Knowledge Representation language, standing alone and
supporting all notions of meaning. Its primary function is to act as
a means of transporting meaning rather than representing it. It would
be normal for RDF to convey some relationships using 'signs' to which
it - RDF - assigns no particular meaning. This is why we said that
plain literals denote themselves, rather than denoting an xsd string,
say: to ensure that no matter how much other specs (such as XML
Schema part 2) get re-written or amended, the exactness of a semantic
transfer using RDF will not be impaired.    (04)

>While in this case you might use the range of the relation as a
>guidance, it may not always be so easy.  Consider the case:
>
><text-uri> <contains-relation-uri> "the text 'hello'"
>
>Now, is "the text 'hello'" (replace single quotes with escaped
>double quotes if preferable) an identifier for "the text 'hello'" or
>for "hello"?  It won't help that (the referent of)
>contains-relation-uri has the type 'string' as its range.
>
>My point is, it seems far better to say that a literal is
>self-referential rather than that it may or may not be, depending on
>some unspecified context.    (05)

It is self-referential in pure RDF. But it may still identify
something else in a larger system of interpretation. RDF is not
intended to be incompatible with such larger uses: quite the contrary.    (06)

Pat    (07)

>vQ
>

>>Pat

>>>I did not say that RDF was confused either.  I just said I hadn't
>>>said it were.
>>>
>>>vQ

>>>--
>>>Wacek Kusnierczyk
>>>
>>>------------------------------------------------------
>>>Department of Information and Computer Science (IDI)
>>>Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
>>>Sem Saelandsv. 7-9
>>>7027 Trondheim
>>>Norway
>>>
>>>tel.   0047 73591875
>>>fax    0047 73594466
>>>------------------------------------------------------
>>

>--
>Wacek Kusnierczyk

>Department of Information and Computer Science (IDI)
>Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
>Sem Saelandsv. 7-9
>7027 Trondheim
>Norway
>
>tel.   0047 73591875
>fax    0047 73594466

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (09)