Re: [ontolog-forum] {Disarmed} Re: OWL and lack of identifiers

To: Ontolog Forum <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Waclaw Kusnierczyk <Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 20:36:28 +0200
Re: Peter F Brown's post (Sat, 14 Apr 2007 09:35:14)    (01)

Peter writes:    (02)

"
The spec is clear, yes…. but an object is not the same thing as the
address of the object – (according to the RFC, I *am* my address): the
object needs identity as much as the address of it does. That is where I
feel this axiom of the W3C falls down…
"    (03)

Clearly there is a problem here.  But we should be careful to
distinguish confusedly designed frameworks from confused documentation
of well-designed ones.    (04)

While RDF specifications, for example, are relatively clear and sound,
the RDF primer provides an abundance of examples such as:    (05)

ex:index.html  exterms:creation-date  "August 16, 1999" .
ex:index.html  dc:language            "en" .    (06)

supposed to state that "August 16, 1999" is the creation date of a page
and "en" is he language of a page, while both are literal strings and
*not* identifiers for a date and a language, respectively.  But from
this apparently confused example one should not infer that RDF itself is
confused (in this respect).    (07)

(This is not to say that RDF is not confused.)    (08)

Wacek    (09)

--
Wacek Kusnierczyk    (010)

Department of Information and Computer Science (IDI)
Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
Sem Saelandsv. 7-9
7027 Trondheim
Norway    (011)

tel.   0047 73591875