Re: [ontolog-forum] {Disarmed} Re: OWL and lack of identifiers

To: Waclaw Kusnierczyk <Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Ontolog Forum <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 21:46:30 -0500
>Re: Peter F Brown's post (Sat, 14 Apr 2007 09:35:14)
>
>Peter writes:
>
>"
>The spec is clear, yesŠ. but an object is not the same thing as the
>address of the object ­ (according to the RFC, I *am* my address): the
>object needs identity as much as the address of it does. That is where I
>feel this axiom of the W3C falls downŠ
>"
>
>Clearly there is a problem here.  But we should be careful to
>distinguish confusedly designed frameworks from confused documentation
>of well-designed ones.
>
>While RDF specifications, for example, are relatively clear and sound,
>the RDF primer provides an abundance of examples such as:
>
>ex:index.html  exterms:creation-date  "August 16, 1999" .
>ex:index.html  dc:language            "en" .
>
>supposed to state that "August 16, 1999" is the creation date of a page
>and "en" is he language of a page, while both are literal strings and
>*not* identifiers for a date and a language, respectively.    (01)

What??  Why should a string not be an identifier?
In fact, it seems to me that *all* identifiers
are strings. And the second example uses a
language tag which is taken from an Internet
standard for language tagging: what could be a
better example of an agreed identifier? Why is
this confused?    (02)

>   But from
>this apparently confused example one should not infer that RDF itself is
>confused (in this respect).
>
>(This is not to say that RDF is not confused.)    (03)

One can make many valid criticisms of RDF, but
being confused isn't one of them.    (04)

Pat    (05)

>Wacek
>

>--
>Wacek Kusnierczyk

>Department of Information and Computer Science (IDI)
>Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
>Sem Saelandsv. 7-9
>7027 Trondheim
>Norway
>
>tel.   0047 73591875
>fax    0047 73594466

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (07)