Re: [ontolog-forum] The Relation Between Logic and Ontology in Metaphysi

To: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 14:27:50 -0500
>Chris P, Chris M, and Pat,
>
>I just wanted to add a few words to support Pat's comment:
>
>CP> I find large tracts of the reference data are irredeemably
>  > higher-order....
>
>PH> Irredeemably?? I am quite unconvinced that universals really
>  > need true semantic higher-order predication. That would be a
>  > very strong claim to defend. Are you sure that the cardinality
>  > of the set of universals is really uncountable?
>
>The fact that you can quantify over predicates without going beyond
>FOL can be shown by using a construction defined by Quine (1953):    (01)

For clarification, this is pretty much what in another message I
called the 'holds/app' translation. I probably first encountered it
when reading Quine, but so long ago that I cannot recall when exactly.    (02)

Pat
IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (03)