Re: [ontolog-forum] The Relation Between Logic and Ontology in Metaphysi

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Chris Partridge" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:14:42 -0000
Chris, John,    (01)

The topic itself seems to me interesting.    (02)

You may be able to shed some light on this.    (03)

>From what little I know, it seems as if at the beginning of the 20th
century, philosophical opinion tended towards regarding logic as a potential
candidate for ontology. By the end of the century, ontology is about what
exists and logic about what can be inferred.    (04)

It seems to be the case, as noted below, that "ontological considerations
might play a role in the choice of an appropriate formalism" and presumably
that a formalism (such as FOL) might have implicit ontological implications.    (05)

I wonder whether either of you (or anyone else on the list) could point to
philosophical research on the links between the two.     (06)

One thing that puzzles me, for example, is whether something like an axiom
that states the whole-part relation is transitive is implying that there is
some kind of ontological dependence between the parental and ancestral
whole-part relations. And if so, why? And under what conditions does
inference imply ontological dependence?    (07)

Why is this interesting? Well, understanding it may help us in choosing our
formalisms.    (08)

Regards,
Chris    (09)