Re: [ontolog-forum] The Relation Between Logic and Ontology in Metaphysi

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Steve Newcomb <srn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 15 Mar 2007 20:59:42 -0400
Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx> writes:    (01)

> > The most recent issue of "the review of Metaphysics" (March 2007, Vol.
> > LX, No. 3, Issue No. 239) arrived yesterday and has the following
> > article by Charlotta Weigelt: "The Relation Between Logic and Ontology
> > in Metaphyics."
>
> Well, far be it from me to play metaphysics cop here and presume to
> dictate what folks ought to study vis-a-vis the subject matter of
> this forum, but Weigelt is a Heidegger scholar, and Heidegger's
> (frequent) use of both "logic" and "ontology" have about as much to
> do with formal reasoning and formal ontology as they do with, say,
> making a fluffy soufflé.  (Come to think of it, they probably have
> less to do with the former than the latter.)
>
> Chris Menzel    (02)

I'm impressed by your erudition, but I question the wisdom of any
prejudice regarding the distinction between the study of formalisms
and the study of being.  Seems to me that there have been times when
students of formalisms have been surprised to discover their practical
applications, and in the other direction, the study of nature has
yielded quite a harvest of formal expressions famous for their
practical usefulness.    (03)

Or maybe your point is that we, here, constitute a community that
should not use the term "ontology" in the normal English sense, but
only in the specialized computer sense.  If that's your agenda, OK,
but what term shall we use for "the metaphysical study of the nature
of being and existence", or for its twin and handmaiden, the study of
identity and the art of its representation?  I can't believe that your
agenda is to deprive us of a way to talk about these things, thereby
to limit the scope of our discussions!    (04)

-- Steve    (05)

Steven R. Newcomb, Consultant
Coolheads Consulting    (06)

Co-editor, Topic Maps International Standard (ISO/IEC 13250)
Co-editor, draft Topic Maps -- Reference Model (ISO/IEC 13250-5)    (07)

srn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.coolheads.com    (08)

direct: +1 540 951 9773
main:   +1 540 951 9774
fax:    +1 540 951 9775    (09)

208 Highview Drive
Blacksburg, Virginia 24060 USA    (010)

(Confidential to all US government personnel to whom this private
letter is not addressed and who are reading it in the absence of a
specific search warrant: In keeping with the publicly-confessed
criminal conduct of the Bush administration, and with the
irresponsible actions of the pusillanimous and corrupt 109th Congress,
you are co-conspiring to subvert the Constitution that you are sworn
to defend.  You can either refuse to commit this crime, or you can
expect to suffer criminal sanctions in the future, when the Executive
Branch of the government of the United States of America once again
demonstrates respect for the rule of law.  I do not envy you for
having to make this difficult choice, but I urge you to make it
wisely.)    (011)