Re: [ontolog-forum] Granularity of Representation (was Re: Role of defin

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Deborah MacPherson" <debmacp@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 17:40:03 -0500
Does anyone have more examples of  "semantic links to processes that
engender change"    (01)

Thank you,    (02)

Debbie MacPherson    (03)

On 2/14/07, Charles D Turnitsa <CTurnits@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> A river that floods, and then expands for millions of acres past it's
> original banks - is it still a river?  When a river dries up, and becomes a
> wadi - is it still a river?
>
> Rather than probability, it seems that it would be better to either choose
> an agreed to perspective, or if all possible views are necessary to increase
> your granularity of investigation (and ontological representation) to
> accommodate all of the possibilities that your perspective mandates.  An
> ontology that included the possibilities I listed above (a dry river bed, or
> wadi; a river; a flooded river occupying a whole floodplain) would include
> several entities, as well attribution that accurately described each.  The
> relationships between them could be captured by semantic links to processes
> that engendered the change (rainy season changes a dry river bed to a river;
> it may also turn a river to a flooded floodplain).
>
> Charles Turnitsa
> Project Scientist
> Virginia Modeling, Analysis & Simulation Center
> Old Dominion University Research Foundation
> (757) 638-6315 (voice)
> cturnits@xxxxxxx

Deborah MacPherson
www.accuracyandaesthetics.com
www.deborahmacpherson.com    (07)

The content of this email may contain private
confidential information. Do not forward, copy,
share, or otherwise distribute without explicit
written permission from all correspondents.    (08)