Re: [ontolog-forum] Role of definitions (Remember the poor human)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 13:53:11 -0800
Pat:    (01)

This is great stuff.  Now I am going to think out loud even more and play
devil's advocate. How do you define liquid?  Glass is also a liquid.  If you
watch a sheet of glass over 1000 years it will appear to flow like it is a
gel.  Would sand not model the same characteristics of a liquid, albeit the
particles on a much larger scale?  If flows, it is subject to the same laws
of physics and offers many of the same properties except maybe having a
higher viscosity index value.    (02)

Wordnet struggled with the following definitions:    (03)

# existing as or having characteristics of a liquid; especially tending to
flow; "water and milk and blood are liquid substances"
# filled or brimming with tears; "swimming eyes"; "sorrow made the eyes of
many grow liquid"
# clear and bright; "the liquid air of a spring morning"; "eyes shining with
a liquid luster"; "limpid blue eyes"
# a substance that is liquid at room temperature and pressure
# melted: changed from a solid to a liquid state; "rivers filled to
overflowing by melted snow"
# smooth and flowing in quality; entirely free of harshness; "the liquid
song of a robin"
# the state in which a substance exhibits a characteristic readiness to flow
with little or no tendency to disperse and relatively high incompressibility
# a substance in the fluid state of matter having no fixed shape but a fixed
volume
# fluent: smooth and unconstrained in movement; "a long, smooth stride";
"the fluid motion of a cat"; "the liquid grace of a ballerina"
# fluid: in cash or easily convertible to cash; "liquid (or fluid) assets"
# a frictionless continuant that is not a nasal consonant (especially `l'
and `r')      (04)

Duane    (05)

On 2/15/07 1:40 PM, "Pat Hayes" <phayes@xxxxxxx> wrote:    (06)

>> *mild digression from discourse*
>>
>> Water is a good example of natural reality, so real yet so versatile
>> yet so elusive
>
> Indeed. I made an attempt at this a while back
> (Ontology of liquids, 1985). I found I had to
> distinguish between a 'piece of liquid' (roughly
> a particular set of molecules) and a 'liquid
> object' which is defined essentially by its
> spatial boundaries. Like a river, for example,
> which is the same liquid object but a different
> piece of liquid every moment. (I was living in
> Geneva at the time, so my example was Lac Leman,
> which has the Rhone flowing in one end and out
> other, and in spring changes color completely in
> two days or so, so evidently is a very different
> piece of liquid.) The fact the geographic volumes
> of water apparently are individuated in the
> second way, spatially, may account for why it
> seems natural to refer to a river even when it
> has no water in it, like a Wadi or wash.
>
>> Maybe, a river is always a river if thats what you call that kind of
>> thing,(define)  but it has different states.(river can be rivololet,
>> or stream, eventually even steam - probably the reverse is true).
>>
>> The states depend on different conditions of the air.atmosphere,
>> temperature.earth, and the natural cycles.
>>
>> Then again, if we want to define river and all its
>> properties/transformations/states, we should really not forget to take
>> a step back. River is water, water is Ho2,. So the river is just a
>> state of some gas combination.
>
> You have to distinguish chemical composition from
> massing together in a body from physical mixing,
> they are all kinds of combination.
>

>> Model that?
>>
>> Depends, if it's the ontology for a mapping system, then it's a
>> particular state that we
>> are interested in modelling, although any representation is likely to
>> be an approximation
>> of what ther river in any given time/space coordinate
>
> Indeed. Again, we have developed a semantics for
> maps which makes this very clear, because if you
> 'back-project' eg a river line on the map to the
> terrain using the inverse of the projection
> function, it is often very much wider than the
> actual river. So you have to say that the
> semantics of the map is not that the line shows
> the actual position of the river, but that it
> *constrains* the actual position (ie the real
> position is 'inside' the back-projection). And
> then for example a road shown going to a town on
> the map could actually miss that town (there is
> enough 'room' for this to be possible) , unless
> we add a special map-interpretation convention
> which says that some kinds of coincidence on the
> map really do mean coincidence in the world.
>
>> If the ontology is to map geophysical resources from the region, then
>> maybe the representation can be more granular -
>>
>> depending what one is interested in modelling obviously, waht
>> definition and representation
>> one choses, however, we should keepin mind that
> [...]

Sr. Technical Evangelist - Adobe Systems, Inc.           *
Chair - OASIS SOA Reference Model Technical Committee    *
Blog: http://technoracle.blogspot.com                    *
Music: http://www.mix2r.com/audio/by/artist/duane_nickull*