Re: [ontolog-forum] Role of definitions (Remember the poor human)

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: kgoodier@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 14:21:31 +0000
Pat -

Great definition.  I attended a conference with Stewart Brand last week.  He has an interesting new website on Worldchanging.com where the phenomena of CityPlanet is being promoted.  He said:

"Without context, there is no meaning."

Thank you for reminding us contextual logic and of John McCarthy and John Sowa's critically important contribution to ontologies that CAN BE APPLIED.  The 25th anniversary of REA is approaching.  Take a look at:

From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>

> Pat:
>
> When I say context, I like to use the wordnet definition:
>
> "discourse that surrounds a language unit and helps to determine its
> interpretation"
>
> Yes - a "river" is always a "river" hence its name. A more accurate
> depiction of what I meant to say is that a certain instance might be a
> "river" in one context and not in another as you suggest.
>
> See below:
> >
> >> A glass of water sitting on a
> >> desk in front of you will not be elevated in your own tuple stores yet a
> >> glass of water approaching your windshield at 60MPH will based on your
> >> perception that it is a threat to your safety. They are the same object but
&g t; >> in different contexts have different meaning.

> [...]
>
> I was aware of the work that had been done but had not realized there were
> active projects. I would like to look into those more. I find the thinking
> very interesting.
>
> Duane
>

> >> Does it mean that I think it is
> >> the best? Is the the author of the ontology?
> >
> > Presumably the latter.
> >
> >> Has some universally accepted
> >> criteria been applied and used to judge it?
> >
> > No.
> >
> >> Without the definition of
> >> "best", the example is largely confusing and meaningless IMO.
> >
> > It does not mean very much, but it is not
> > meaningLESS. It has whatever meaning can be
> > gleaned from the axioms in the ontol ogy. The same
> > is true for all concept names in any ontology.
> >
> >> There have been some work done around context. Most of it has failed or
> >> resulted in an open ended explosion of hypothesis.
> >
> > Well, quite a lot of reasonably serious work has
> > been done without utter failure, though of course
> > not entirely without controversy. There has been
> > a series of quite technical workshops, for example
> >
> > http://sra.itc.it/events/crr05/,
> > http://www.nexus.uni-stuttgart.de/COMOREA/2006/CallForPapers06_files/comorea06
> > -cfp.pdf
> >
> > and some surveys and overviews are available
> >
> > http://www-poleia.lip6.fr/~brezil/Pages2/Publications/CAI1-99.pdf
> > (now rather old)
> > http://www.cs.bilkent.edu.tr/~akman/book-chapters/mcgraw/mcgraw2002.doc
> >
> > and I belive there is a journal devoted to the
> > topic. John McCarthy was the first to suggest a
> > contextual logic, and it has since been quite
> > sharply formalized by others and has given rise
> > to a lot of work, including many applications and
> > implementations of context-reasoning engines (Try
> > googling "context logic"). Cyc, probably the
> > largest integrated ontology ever built, has been
> > based firmly on context logic for a decade or so,
> > and uses it centrally (their preferred term is
> > 'microtheory' rather than 'context')
> >
> >> It is my hope that one day a serious effort will start to really open this
> >> topic up.
> >
> > Im not sure what you regard as serious, but you
> > might cast an eye over some of the literature. By
> > the way, our logic IKL was developed in order to
> > provide for a way of handling contexts in full
> > generality but which does not require using a
> > context *logic*. I can expand on this point if
> > you are interested.
> >
> > Pat
> >

> >> Duane

> > ;>> a metalevel statement that should definitely be considered

> >> --
> >> Sr. Technical Evangelist - Adobe Systems, Inc. *
> >> Chair - OASIS SOA Reference Model Tech nical Committee *
> >> Blog: http://technoracle.blogspot.com *
> >> Music: http://www.mix2r.com/audio/by/artist/duane_nickull*
> >>

> > --
> > IHMC (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973 home
& gt; > 40 South Alcaniz St. (850)202 4416 office