Re: [ontolog-forum] Role of definitions (Remember the poor human)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 10:01:36 +0700
*mild digression from discourse*    (01)

Water is a good example of natural reality, so real yet so versatile
yet so elusive    (02)

Maybe, a river is always a river if thats what you call that kind of
thing,(define)  but it has different states.(river can be rivololet,
or stream, eventually even steam - probably the reverse is true).    (03)

The states depend on different conditions of the air.atmosphere,
temperature.earth, and the natural cycles.    (04)

Then again, if we want to define river and all its
properties/transformations/states, we should really not forget to take
a step back. River is water, water is Ho2,. So the river is just a
state of some gas combination.    (05)

Model that?    (06)

Depends, if it's the ontology for a mapping system, then it's a
particular state that we
are interested in modelling, although any representation is likely to
be an approximation
of what ther river in any given time/space coordinate    (07)

If the ontology is to map geophysical resources from the region, then
maybe the representation can be more granular -    (08)

depending what one is interested in modelling obviously, waht
definition and representation
one choses, however, we should keepin mind that nothing is in a permanent state,
and the state of everything is correlated by its dependencies, and
dependencies are bound by some cycles.and laws, even they appear
chaotic at times, I guess    (09)

Model that in the ontology.    (010)

just thinking lound    (011)

*digression ends*    (012)

Paola DM    (013)

On 2/15/07, Kathryn Blackmond Laskey <klaskey@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >As a matter of fact, a river IS always a river:
> >this is a necessary truth.
>
> Except when it's a stream, or a brook, or a rivulet.
>
> There is flowing water (well, today it may be frozen; last week, it
> was flowing) that passes under a bridge I drive over on the way from
> my home to GMU.  Whether that something is a river or a stream or a
> creek, is open to endless debate.  I agree that it is what it is, but
> is it always a river?  Always not a river?  I don't think that
> question has a definite answer.
>
> Kathy

--     (015)

Paola Di Maio