Re: [ontolog-forum] Role of definitions (Remember the poor human)

To: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 11:38:38 -0800

On 2/15/07 11:23 AM, "Pat Hayes" <phayes@xxxxxxx> wrote:    (01)

>> I would presume that the example above is based on an intersection of
>> multiple contexts.
>
> I really do suggest that you read some of the
> literature on contextual reasoning before
> suggesting ideas like this. It is hard enough to
> figure out what people mean by "context", let
> alone what an intersection of them is supposed to
> be.    (02)

I actually read a lot of work on the subject.  The reference to
"intersection" refers to the type of contextual framework used in the
UN/CEFACT CCTS methodology.  The work is specific to business terminology
only.  There are 8 core context driver categories that each have a range of
possible values.  The core CCTS specification described a methodology
whereby there are a fixed set of 17 core components and a large number of
business information entities based on the CC's.  The idea is that each BIE
is specific to a certain intersection of the 8 context drivers.    (03)

It is somewhat hard to grasp given visualizing an 8 faceted framework is
difficult.  The best way to explain it is via an example.    (04)

There is a CC called "date".  Many aspects of it might be contextually
specialized during a process of refinement based on its context of use.  The
8 context categories each have a unique or range of values which result in a
very specific type of date.  The idea is that someone inspecting the
specialized date can find clues to its true meaning based on both the
context and the original CC upon which it was based.    (05)

The date in question may become the "Invoice Purchase Date", expressed in a
specific mask (example YYYY-MM-DD-HH:MM:SS), serialized in a specific format
(XML or ANSI X12 EDI) and more.    (06)

The idea is that the date itself is also semantically different based upon
its context and the roles of those who examine it and may be bound by it.    (07)

I hope this helps.    (08)

Duane    (09)

Sr. Technical Evangelist - Adobe Systems, Inc.           *
Chair - OASIS SOA Reference Model Technical Committee    *
Blog: http://technoracle.blogspot.com                    *
Music: http://www.mix2r.com/audio/by/artist/duane_nickull*