Re: [ontolog-forum] Role of definitions (Remember the poor human)

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bill Andersen <andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 19:03:12 -0500
Hi Kathy,

Well, you know that I, for one, have had discussions with you about this.  I don't believe it's a matter at all about "real" vs unreal axioms.  The fact of the matter is simple in my view.  An earlier note of yours mentioned "classification".  I suspect this is how you, being a machine learning person, view the role of "ontologies".

Some quick questions, then.  If "ontologies" are supposed to include sophisticated mechanisms for handling probability distributions and are supposed to support classification, then what would be the role of epistemology and phenomenology in such ontologies?  Do they all get rolled in?   Is it the case that you reject the traditional divides between ontology, epistemology, phenomenology, and semantics in natural languages?

  .bill