Re: [ontolog-forum] Role of definitions (Remember the poor human)

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Charles D Turnitsa <CTurnits@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:09:00 -0500
Frank,    (01)

 Yes, I apologize for using Universal without my usual proviso.  I intend,
in my definitions, for Universal to extend only to the limits of the
community or domain that the ontology pertains to.    (02)

 I don't think there will ever be such a thing as a truly universal (for
all domains) definition of a concept.  But that's only my theory...    (03)

 The one thing that gives me hope in pursuing this line of research is that
I am intending the method of capturing a complete definition of meaning for
elements in an ontology for purposes of describing a worldview as it is
exhibited by a computer system (a synthetic world, or simulation, to be
precise), which will have a necessarily finite and limited number of
aspects to any element of the ontology.    (04)

 In a worldview that is open to interpretation and representation by a more
complex class of reasoners than a computer system, say a worldview that is
interpreted and represented by human beings using (for instance) intuition,
deduction, imagination, and natural language - then I don't think that my
approach would be possible (too many perspectives to account for a single
definition of any element of the ontology, in this case).    (05)

Chuck    (06)

Charles Turnitsa
Project Scientist
Virginia Modeling, Analysis & Simulation Center
Old Dominion University Research Foundation
(757) 638-6315 (voice)
cturnits@xxxxxxx    (07)

ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 02/14/2007 02:28:48 PM:    (08)