Re: [ontolog-forum] Role of definitions (Remember the poor human)

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Olken, Frank" <folken@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 14:22:13 -0500
Concerning the issue of definitions, I am inclined to mostly agree
with Barry Smith (although he will probably object to "concepts".    (01)

1) In recent terminology/metadata standards names
(or more commonly terms - since (proper) names may designate
individuals)
designate concepts which have "definitions" - either in natural
language and/or formal definitions.  There is some shift to
using "signs" as a generalization of "names" in recent standards.
Often a given concept will have multiple "names" in several
languages.    (02)

2)  The formal definitions are just collections of axioms
which constrain a particular concept (represented by a symbol
in the axiom).  As Barry (and others) have noted,
it is generally more convenient for the human
users of such ontologies if they can readily examine the collection
of axioms which constrains the semantics of a particular concept.
It may also help some reasoning systems if the axioms relevant to
a concept are grouped together.    (03)

However, if several "concepts" are defined by a collection
of axioms it may be difficult to untangle the collection of axioms
into individual "definitions".    (04)

3)  There is the problem of reconciling natural language definitions
used in conjunction with formal definitions.    (05)

                Frank Olken    (06)

National Science Foundation
Computer and Information Science and Engineering  Directorate
Intelligent Information Systems Division
Information Integration and Informatics
Suite 1125
4201 Wilson Blvd.
Arlington, VA 22230    (07)