[ontolog-forum] "Constructivism"

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 09:10:59 -0600
> The idea is good, and I can join the tool - purely on an
> experimental basis to start with -
> the problem is going to get us all to agree as to what we want to
> say, in terms of content and form
>
> for example, I have a problem with the word 'lethal' as it has non
> constructive implications,    (01)

I don't understand what you mean by "(non)constructive".  Could you
clarify?  What tests do you have to determine whether a word is
constructive or not?  And why avoid them?  What do you do if you are
building an ontology for a pharmaceutical company that has introduced
a property called "lethal dose" for a variety of drugs?  Do you tell
them they have to start using a different word?    (02)

> I dont use non constructive words, especially in writing (we all
> have our idiosyncrasies  I guess) - can we live with that?    (03)

It certainly doesn't seem to me to be an idiosyncrasy that someone
who has to build ontologies in real world domains from existing
terminology can live with.    (04)

Chris Menzel    (05)