[ontolog-forum] Emergency and Reponse Ontology

To: bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:56:44 +0700
Dear Bob and all in this workgroup.
here is my situation, loosely defined    (01)

1. I am helping  global teams of open source ER  software developers,
namely sahana.lk as well as occasional others, to help improve their
conceptual and semantic consistency. This is a massive challenge,
given linguistic and conceptual diversity, although assuming english
is the working language, literacy and domain expertise among
developers vary considerably.My work is aimed to ensure first of all
that the system works consistently and that there
are no errors and critical failures generated from incoherent representation.    (02)

2. Whe I look for an ER ontology that we can reference as a starting
framework, I dont find any. So I am left with compiling pieces of
different puzzles that inevitably challenge of my first goal: create
consistency.    (03)

3. I therefore think (cogito) we need a common open ontology framework
for ER that needs to be agreed to and in principle adhered to by all
organisations operating in the field, and that can also be referenced
by open source software and systems.   I start looking for existing
documentation and I dont find much on public sources, and what I find
is not usable (ie not visible, not easy to unstand, not documented,
not adapltable and does not allow the user - me - to give any feedback
- quoting Norman)    (04)

So my first topic of discussion is:    (05)

- is there an ontology that we can reference and evolve for ER?
if yes, where is it? is ti any good (usable?)? it been opened up for
consultation among the community? and has such public consultation
been documented?
if no, what is there? shall we start something?is it a realistic goal?
This is a question that I'd like to add to the wiki page on 25 of this month    (06)

Also, re. starting a resource library and workpage, I wonder if we
should start a separate mailing list for EPO given that maybe not
everyone on Ontolog is intersted is this domain and discussions, which
I anticipate may intensify in future weeks    (07)

Look forward to collaboration    (08)

Thanks    (09)

Paola Di Maio    (010)