Re: [ontolog-forum] ontology engineering methodologies

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 08:14:44 -0700
> where can i get more [about] methodologies ...    (01)

[ppy]  I have a feeling a lot of us has the same question too ... and
we are here (as a community of practice) to share ideas and compare
notes.    (02)

While we will touch on methodology issue almost everytime we start a
project or major discourse, (off hand) I can point to a few incidences
when Ontolog folks had systematically addressed the issue. You can
find them at:    (03)

1. a discussion on how we should tackle the UBL-Ontology project (back
in 2003) - see: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/?Methodology    (04)

2. the methodology adopted for our recent (still current)
Taxo-Thesaurus project that Dr. Bob Smith and Dr. Denise Bedford have
been driving - see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologTaxoThesaurus#nidNXX    (05)

3. At the recent 9th International Protege Conference at Stanford
University (where our July.2006 face-to-face workshop was colocated) a
whole bunch of people were presenting methodology-related work. For
example, you might want to check out the invited talk by Dr. York Sure
(from Institute AIFB of the University of Karlsruhe, Germany), where
he talked about (among other topics) some of the methodology work they
are doing too - see:
http://protege.stanford.edu/conference/2006/schedule.html ... where
you can find the presentations from (almost) all the speakers
(including York's).    (06)

I look to others in the community to provide further comments ...    (07)

...maybe, Lakshmi, you can share with us your findings regarding
ontology building approaches and methodologies too!    (08)

Regards.  =ppy