Re: [ontolog-forum] ontology engineering

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 06:45:47 -0700
Hello Lakshmi,    (01)

Good questions!    (02)

The Ontolog community has adopted the definitions to some of the
ontological-engineering-related terms as described by Dr. Leo Obrst in
his talk given on Jan. 12 & 19, 2006. See:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2006_01_12 (the
audio archives to the talk is available too.)    (03)

Other resources within Ontolog's accumulated body of knowledge that
may be of interest can be found at:    (04)

  o  Ontolog Past Events (talks and discussions) - see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidZ    (05)

and,    (06)

  o  Member Recommended Readings and Resources (not very up-to-date,
though, but, still valuable) - see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?RecommendedReadingResource    (07)

As to your other questions about (a) why there is a lack of standards,
and (b) why there isn't just one standardized methodology,    (08)

My take is:    (09)

(a) it's coming ... and that what a lot of us here (at Ontolog) are
trying to contribute to, as individuals, as teams, and as a community,
and    (010)

(b) I doubt if what you are asking for is even possible or desirable
... ontological engineering is poised to help solve a lot of different
problems (and vice versa); it is doubtful that one single methodology
could be optimally suited for the range of problems we might
encounter.    (011)

Welcome to the community of practice setting. Let's all work together
to improve things for ourselves and the domain at large!    (012)

Thanks & regards.  =ppy
--    (013)