Re: [ontolog-forum] Proceedings of the Ontolog Discussion - Ontologies

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 12:23:43 -0700
Thank you, Owen.    (01)

Folks ... Owen Amber (DoI, XML-CoP) came back with this set of
thought provoking, and actually, rather challenging questions.    (02)

Each and everyone of Owen's questions calls for some deep
thinking, some form of answer/solution, but (evidently, more
importantly to Owen) some action to follow.    (03)

... comments, suggestions, insights, solicited. Extending the
real time discussion to this asynchronous platform, let's see if
our community can 'collectively' take a crack at Owen's challenge!    (04)

Cheers.  =ppy
--    (05)

Owen_Ambur@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote Mon, 14 Aug 2006 08:49:52 -0400:

> [...]

> top-level taxonomy that they are trying to impose on me."    (011)

> 3) On the telecon last week someone (I think it was the guy from Zapthink)
> said one of his customers decided not to use XML for one of their
> applications because there was no need to deal with the excessive overhead
> associated with the verbosity of the XML coding.  While it is easy to
> understand why compression and other means might be used to accelerate the
> transmission of the electrons, the separation of content from its
> presentation has much to do with the fact that so many of our business
> processes are still so bound up in paper.  Intuitively as well as logically
> speaking, people know they cannot trust systems whose records lack
> integrity, including presentational integrity.  The speed with which
> electrons can be transmitted is often not the most important business
> issue, indeed far from it.    (012)

> Thus, I'd be curious to know whether the data being transmitted in the
> referenced application is important and, if so, whether it ever needs to be
> shared with anyone else, e.g., partners, auditors, shareholders, or other
> stakeholders.  If not, how can it be important?  If so, do the benefits of
> accelerated internal transmission offset the costs associated with the
> inability to share the data readily with others?  Presumably so, but I'm
> curious to know how the records management (and sharing) requirements are
> being addressed.    (013)

> 4) Finally and perhaps most importantly, are there reusable components
> and/or specifications related to ontologies for which the CIO Council's
> ET.gov site/process might productively be used to build .gov communities of
> practice to foster implementation and incorporation in the Federal
> Enterprise Architecture (FEA) Technical Reference Model (TRM) or Service
> Component Reference Model (SRM) and/or the Federal Transition Framework
> (FTF) Catalog, for potential Governmentwide usage?
> http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/egov/a-2-EAFTF.html    (014)

> Note:  Stage 1 of the ET.gov site/process implements the principle outlined
> in item 1 above.  http://et.gov/stage1.htm  Folks can post their valid XML
> instance documents anywhere on the public Web.  They are not required to
> "subscribe" to or otherwise re-create their digital personas at ET.gov.
> Indeed, to avoid implications associated with the Privacy Act, we do not
> store any personally identifiable information on the site.  If submitters
> wish to provide such information, it is stored on their own site or the
> site or the site of any intermediary service they may choose to use.
> http://et.gov/policies.aspx#personalinformation    (015)

> If you see any prospects for mutually productive pursuit along any of these
> lines, I will be pleased to explore opportunities for collaboration with
> anyone who may be interested in actions (small, manageable steps) that we
> might take together as well as individually.

---    (016)