Re: [ontolog-forum] Fw: [red-team] O Fw: [CIOCD] Draft OMB InformationD

To: Brand Niemann <bniemann@xxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sicop-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Rex Brooks <rexb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 08:24:53 -0800
Moving Targets can be difficult to keep up with,
and I have to admit that I have been slack in
keeping up with the specifics of the DRM that I
will be increasingly involved with, and I now
realize that I have to remedy that since my next
focus area is going to be healthcare informatics
in detail, and especially as they interrelate
to/with emergency management in general and the
Emergency Data Exchange Language components the
OASIS EM TC is working on in particular.    (01)

Since the subcommittee I co-chair specifically
deals with EDXL in large part, and we are taking
up the Resource Messaging component, this brings
up a set of critical concerns for data exchange
packages and what the specific distinctions are
between data description metadata and data
context metadata in the DRM, especially since I
will be building registries for both, and some
associated repositories, too, in order to have
the (hopefully) ontologically organized resources
(standards, standards organizations and companies
that use those standards along with the metadata
for how those companies use those standards and
how those standards might, could, or should be
mapped to other standards or that stand in some
particular relationship to other standards, such
as HL7, LOINC, SNOMED the Foundational Model of
Anatomy, etc).    (02)

Ensuring that the data exchange packages for
these standards work as well as they can at the
outset of DRM adoption is crucial for setting the
stage to start drastically reducing healthcare
costs and healthcare financing costs, so I wanted
to give y'all a heads up that I will probably be
asking a lot of questions, with, perhaps, a great
deal of specificity, but better I do the asking
now than we find out later that a whole whopping
huge set of inescapable data doesn't fit. Also, I
need to identify the areas where the healthcare
informatics community, such as it is at this
point in time, is made aware of any avoidable
difficulties. Getting liaison efforts going now
will also smoothe the path to better
interoperability down the road, especially since
we now have the newly launched Center for
Ontological Research and the Center for
Biomedical Ontology through which such work can
hopefully be facilitated.    (03)

Ciao,
Rex    (04)

Rex Brooks