RE: [ontolog-forum] Ontolog Invited Speaker - Barry Smith - Thu2005.10.1

To: "Barry Smith" <phismith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Duane Nickull" <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:20:16 -0700
Barry:    (01)

I think this would benefit from the use of a higher level ontology like
SUMO to actually define "John", "has" and "diabetes".  Without agreement
on the semantics of these, it is hard to evaluate any statements since
we both may infer different hypothesis based on our semantic evaluation
of each term.    (02)

If diabetes is defined deterministically and john has been subject to a
test procedure in alignment with that definition, then one can evaluate
John to ascertain whether the statement is true or false.  I have made
the assumption that "has" is a predicate statement indicating an
instance of some type of ownership/possession N-ary association.    (03)

Good stuff for provoking thoughts.    (04)

Duane    (05)