[ontolog-forum] N-ary Relationships

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 17:37:13 -0700
I split this out as a separate thread.    (01)

One thing that is very ambiguous about the use of the concept maps and
OWL is the exact nature of several of the relationships.    (02)

Given the attached diagram entitled "temperature-example", there are
several questions that are unanswered.  I find the whole set of examples
flawed.    (03)

Steve has a temperature?  No - that is wrong!  Yes - Steve has a
temperature, however we cannot ever be sure what it is.  A much more
accurate statement is that Steve was associated with an event where
someone (part of an agency) measured his temperature.  They did this
using a procedure (tested it with a thermometer stuffed under his tongue
for 30 seconds), possibly an instrument (type and brand of thermometer)
and it was conducted at some geo-spatial coordinates.  The example given
is worthless if you get more than one declaration since you would need
the extra information to determine which set of information is more
accurate a current.  How can you say he has a trend without knowing the
time attributes?  Is a digital, infrared thermometer pointed at the back
of Steve's throat given the same "weight" of accuracy as his mother
feeling his forehead?  I think not.  This is almost as flawed as the
Protege groups' Wine example.    (04)

The second diagram entitled purchase example inverse also raised some
issues IMO.  An inverse relationship is no where hear robust enough.
The SUMO model is the one they need to consider. SUMO is the only
ontology i have seen that seems to cover all the possible range of types
of binary associations. It is not clear from the concept map if the
relationships are able to determine simple things like is the buyer even
aware of the purchase assuming the red inverse arrow was not present.
The N to N relationships discussion on the other thread would encompass
the nature of all relationships beyond the immediate binary predicates.
Example: Is John (the Buyer) aware of the price?  No one has published a
convention for interpreting concept maps that clarifies this. Can OWL
clarify this?  Does the awareness traverse across multiple nodes?  If
John is the buyer role of the transaction, is he automatically aware of
all the aspects of the purchase?  I find it unnecessary that "birthday
gift" is an aspect of the purchase concept itself.  I would presume that
such a reason is a factor associated only with John in his role as Buyer
as a motivating factor.    (05)

Duane    (06)

JPEG image

JPEG image