[ontolog-forum] Context, at last!

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Nicolas F Rouquette <nicolas.rouquette@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:18:01 -0700
http://www.w3.org/2004/03/trix/    (01)

At the bottom, look for a discussion about
applying the notion of named graph for the
problem of modeling context. Their paper states:    (02)

-------------
Context: There is no general agreement of the concept behind the term
context. We
use the term in the following sense: The context of a statement is the
graph in which it
is contained.
--------------    (03)

As far as I'm concerned, this settles the matter
as long as we have a DOLCE-like distinction
of description and situation with distinct graphs.
This is a similar requirement to the paper's observaton
about extending RDF with the ability to distinguish
'de dicto' vs 'de re':    (04)

-----------------
'de dicto' and 'de re': Following [Hayes04], the contrast between de
dicto (of the
speech) and de re (of the thing) can be illustrated by the distinction
between direct
quotation of speech, as in "Louis said, 'Superman is Clark Kent' " vs.
"Louis said that
Superman is Clark Kent" . The first, de dicto, reports Louis' actual
words (and is false,
in the story) while the second, de re, reports what she said about
someone, using the
speaker's words (and if the speaker knows more about Superman than Louis
does,
might well be true: even though Louis herself wouldn't identify the guy
using the term
"Superman", she might well have said that Clark Kent was Clark Kent, and
of course
as we know, Clark Kent *is* Superman.) … A way to summarize all this is
that RDF
makes the blanket assumption that all URIrefs are talking about one
single 'reality'
and so they always refer in the same way.