Re: [ontolog-forum] Invoice Concept/ Protege implementation

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Patrick Cassidy <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:27:03 -0400
Concerning two issues -- the definition of an invoice,
and the Protege version of the starter UBL ontology
built on SUMO.    (01)

(1) a dictionary definition says:    (02)

   "an itemized bill for goods sold or services provided, containing
individual prices, the total charge, and the terms."    (03)

1.a.    The essential element is that this is a request for payment.
If  that is agreed, it will affect how the Invoice is represented.
Is there any disagreement?    (04)

1.b.   The dictionary says that the goods were "provided" -- past
tense. Is it possible to send an invoice requesting payment before
goods were shipped?  Can shipment be contingent on prior payment
as requested in an invoice?    (05)

1.c.   It seems that all invoices are sent in response to a
purchase order. Are there any exceptions?    (06)

   ---------------------
   NOTE: it would probably help to have someone get a few invoices and
scan them for us to have as references. The only invoices I ever
encounter myself are those sent along with a shipment.  I'm not
even sure that those are properly considered as "invoices", since they
are not typically a request for payment, but merely an itemization of
what was sent.  Can anyone get some examples?
===================================================    (07)

(2)  Protege version:    (08)

2.a.   I have made a crude transcription of SUMO version 1.55 into
Protege, available at:
    ftp://micra.com/ontolog/SUMO155.pprj
    ftp://micra.com/ontolog/SUMO155.pont
    ftp://micra.com/ontolog/SUMO155.pins    (09)

   The relations are incomplete in this Protege implementation --
    the subrelations were not added in.  Also, there are no
    axioms.  An important point is that the relations are
    nt distinguished as to whether they are necessary or
    optional -- for example, if a "part" relation is specified
    on a class, it is not necessarily true that every instance
    of the class has such a part.  We can specify that relations
    are necessary in Protege, if we decide as such.    (010)

2.b.  To the Protege version of SUMO 1.55 above I have added in
   the classes that were added by Mike Daconta in his ubl-invoice-V01
   ontology, and also the classes I described in my previous note.
   This version is available as:    (011)

    ftp://micra.com/ontolog/UBLinv011.pprj
    ftp://micra.com/ontolog/UBLinv011.pont
    ftp://micra.com/ontolog/UBLinv011.pins    (012)

   In this version the SUMO ternary slots and binary functions were
represented more accurately, and the subrelations were added in.
This version also has a provision for representing synonyms or
referring to similar concepts in other languages or other ontologies.
See the "Entity" class for an example.    (013)

     ============================================    (014)

   I think two issues need to be discussed right away: whether to
represent both abstract and physical invoices, and how to represent
the parts of an invoice.
    As to whether to have representations of both abstract and physical
"Invoice", I would strongly recommend that both be included.  It is
not in general necessary to have both abstract and physical
representations of every text, but in a case, as we are dealing with
here, where the document itself if the main topic of an ontology (or
ontology module), I believe it will be useful to explicitly represent
all of the concepts that users will be considering on a regular basis.    (015)

   In Mike's implementation he creates relations corresponding to the
various parts of the invoice.  An alternative could be to represent
the parts explicitly in the class hierarchy (as texts -- physical
and/or abstract) and relate them by a "part" relation.  For example,
in SUMO there is a "subProposition"  relation:    (016)

"(&%subProposition ?PROP1 ?PROP2) means that ?PROP1 is a &%Proposition
   which is a proper part of the &%Proposition ?PROP2.  In other words,
   &%subProposition is the analogue of &%properPart for chunks of
   abstract content."    (017)

   If, as I suggest, there is a representation of the abstract
informational content of an invoice "InvoiceAbstract", then this
subproposition relation would be the link between the whole
invoice and it abstract parts.
    There would be  corresponding "part" relation for the physical
Invoice and its different data fields.
    I prefer the use of the "part" relation for various reasons, but
one important reason is that the proliferation of relations that
are not needed can make an ontology harder to understand, and
correspondingly harder to use.    (018)

   Pat    (019)

Patrick Cassidy    (020)

MICRA, Inc.                      || (908) 561-3416
735 Belvidere Ave.               || (908) 668-5252 (if no answer)
Plainfield, NJ 07062-2054        || (908) 668-5904 (fax)    (021)

internet:   cassidy@xxxxxxxxx