Re: [ontolog-forum] Use of SUMO and "patient" of a Process

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Patrick Cassidy <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 16:47:00 -0400
Mike,
    About the use of "patient":    (01)

     MDaconta@xxxxxxx wrote:    (02)

 > In a message dated 7/12/2003 11:04:39 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
 > adampease@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
 >
 >> [Adam Pease] Names are always a problem, since different people
 >> have different intuitions about the right name for a concept.
 >> Linguistics will like  this name since it accords with common
 >> computational linguistic terminology.  For others, I agree
 >> that it might initially be confusing.
 >

 > Interesting.  I had not heard that term in computational linguistics.
 > Any good references in that area you like?
 >
 >    (03)

  -- "patient" is common in NLP usage as one of the arguments
of transitive verbs (usually the "object" in an active-mood
sentence) -- one reference:
    http://oak.colorado.edu/~spradhan/publications/cuaq.pdf    (04)

They list the "semantic roles"  at one point:    (05)

"However, most of these semantic units are quite specific in what they
label. We identify a small set of thematic roles ­ viz., agent,
patient, manner, degree, cause, result, location, temporal, force,
goal, path, percept, proposition, source, state, and topic, in the
candidate answer sentences, using a statistical classifier [5]. "    (06)

>> >2. the range of the property is "Entity" which includes both Physical and
>> >Abstract things.  Since the Process is a subclass of Physical, the
>> targets
>> >of the Process should probably have a range of "Object" (subclass of
>> >Physical).
>>
>> A patient of an event could be information, which isn't physical, even
>> though the event itself is situated in space and time, due to its
>> relationship to an Agent.
>

> Ok, I'll buy that.  Though Entity includes everything which is too broad.
> Some restraints on the target of a process are appropriate.
>     (07)

    Right.  The specific constraints will be identified in the
representations of specific types of process (or event).
The patient of "read" (in the usual sense) will be, for
example, a "Text-Physical", as in reading the creation date
on an Invoice.  Other senses of the same word (i.e. other
distinct though related identifiable processes)
would have different patients (e.g. to read the data off an
instrument).    (08)

    Pat    (09)

Patrick Cassidy    (010)

MICRA, Inc.                      || (908) 561-3416
735 Belvidere Ave.               || (908) 668-5252 (if no answer)
Plainfield, NJ 07062-2054        || (908) 668-5904 (fax)    (011)

internet:   cassidy@xxxxxxxxx