Re: [ontolog-forum] Use of SUMO and "patient" of a Process

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: MDaconta@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 14:31:03 EDT
In a message dated 7/12/2003 11:04:39 AM US Mountain Standard Time, adampease@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Names are always a problem, since different people have different
intuitions about the right name for a concept.  Linguistics will like this
name since it accords with common computational linguistic
terminology.  For others, I agree that it might initially be confusing.

Interesting.  I had not heard that term in computational linguistics.
Any good references in that area you like?

>2. the range of the property is "Entity" which includes both Physical and
>Abstract things.  Since the Process is a subclass of Physical, the targets
>of the Process should probably have a range of "Object" (subclass of
>Physical).

A patient of an event could be information, which isn't physical, even
though the event itself is situated in space and time, due to its
relationship to an Agent.

Ok, I'll buy that.  Though Entity includes everything which is too broad.
Some restraints on the target of a process are appropriate.

Back to work...

- Mike
Michael C. Daconta
Chief Scientist, APG, McDonald Bradley, Inc.
www.daconta.net