Re: [ontolog-forum] Use of SUMO and "patient" of a Process

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Adam Pease <adampease@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 11:04:04 -0700
Mike,    (01)

At 01:58 PM 7/12/2003 -0400, MDaconta@xxxxxxx wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Using SUMO as a basis for a domain-specific ontology has forced me
>to think about the domain-specific ontology in different ways than I would
>have if I were developing it from scratch (more complex ways).
>This is important as it answered a question I have had for awhile about
>whether the trouble of deriving a domain-specific ontology from an upper
>ontology was worth it.  Of course, the proof will be in the pudding ...
>whether the final form (and the use
>thereof) is better with the added complexity.  That cannot be answered until
>one or more ontologies are done (in different styles) and can be compared
>against a use case.  However, at this point, I feel the use of SUMO
>is improving the domain-specific ontology I am working to create.
>
>Now, one question/issue about a property in SUMO.  SUMO has a
>patient slot for a Process.  The patient being some generic entity (or
>entities) that is acted on by the process.  I have two problems with this
>slot:
>1. the term patient has a specific connotation as an organic thing.  I would
>prefer a generic word like the "target" of the process.    (02)

Names are always a problem, since different people have different
intuitions about the right name for a concept.  Linguistics will like this
name since it accords with common computational linguistic
terminology.  For others, I agree that it might initially be confusing.    (03)

>2. the range of the property is "Entity" which includes both Physical and
>Abstract things.  Since the Process is a subclass of Physical, the targets
>of the Process should probably have a range of "Object" (subclass of
>Physical).    (04)

A patient of an event could be information, which isn't physical, even
though the event itself is situated in space and time, due to its
relationship to an Agent.    (05)

Adam    (06)