RE: [ontolog] UBL in the Press

To: <ontolog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Uschold, Michael F" <michael.f.uschold@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 09:44:16 -0800
I would argue (and have done so many times) that a top-down approach also has
limitations. I advocate  a middle out approach. To my delight, I uncovered a
bunch of postings on ontology lists over the years, going back to 94 by a
Google-search using the terms: [uschold "middle out"] to find numerous postings
. Note that the original idea for this came from Martin King of IBM, he got the
idea from Lackoff's notion of psychologically 'basic' categories. Here are a
few links to chase.    (01)

Mike    (02)

EMail Msg <5931.9411231427@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<mfu@aiai ... with
respect to building ontologies, is to proceed middle-out rather than top ...
www-ksl.stanford.edu/email-archives/ ontolingua.messages/123.html - 6k - Cached
- Similar pages
onto-std.archive: Re: CG: Re: A simplistic definition of " ...
... Further comments on Mike Uschold's comments on my comments ... is an
iterative process
that has to be approached top-down, bottom-up, and middle-out with continual
www-ksl.stanford.edu/onto-std/mailarchive/0102.html - 6k - Cached - Similar
pages
Re: SUO: The Story So Far - Request for vote
... that this proposal obviously reflects a top-down approach, but I believe it
can
be adapted also to the middle-out approach advocated by Mike Uschold, as long
suo.ieee.org/email/msg03986.html - 10k - Cached - Similar pages
SUO: RE: RE: RE: SUO starter document
To: "Uschold, Michael F" <Michael.Uschold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Schoening, James R
CECOM ... and EPISTLE over the last 10 years has been largely middle out, and
we ...
suo.ieee.org/email/msg05123.html - 15k - Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from suo.ieee.org ]
Re: SUO: The Story So Far - Request for vote
... that this proposal obviously reflects a top-down approach, but I >believe
it can
be adapted also to the middle-out approach advocated by >Mike Uschold, as long
grouper.ieee.org/groups/suo/email/msg03989.html - 12k - Cached - Similar pages
Citations: Top-level ontological categories - Sowa ( ...
... Uschold and Gruninger (1996) argue that a middle out, purpose driven
approach is
most effective, in which the basic concepts in a domain are identified first
citeseer.nj.nec.com/context/220773/0 - 31k - Cached - Similar pages
[DOC]Experience in Ontology Engineering for a Multi-Agent Corporate ...
File Format: Microsoft Word 97 - View as HTML
... included the study of existing ontologies: the Enterprise Ontology [Uschold
et al ... to
distinguish between three approaches: Bottom-Up, Top-Down and Middle-Out. ...
www-sop.inria.fr/acacia/Publications/fgandon/research/
IJCAI2001/article_fabien_gandon_ijcai2001.doc - Similar pages
[PDF]Experience in Ontology Engineering for a Multi-Agents Corporate ...
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
... included the study of existing ontologies: the Enterprise Ontology [Uschold
et al ... to
distinguish between three approaches: Bottom-Up, Top- Down and Middle-Out . ...
www-sop.inria.fr/acacia/Publications/fgandon/research/
IJCAI2001/article_fabien_gandon_ijcai2001.pdf - Similar pages     (03)