Re: [ontolog] UBL in the Press

To: ontolog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Adam Pease <apease@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 19:55:34 -0800
Folks,
   Like Leo, I'm wondering why there should be an apparent dichotomy in
these arguments.  The "right" answer is really that both top-down and
bottom up are required.  To construct ontologies without the benefit of
reusing top down, generic models of temporal and spatial information, set
and class theory etc is to create theories which are uniformed by best
practices.  Concentrating on abstract theories alone results in ivory tower
theories that may be intellectually elegant but are unconnected with
solving real application needs.
   Sadly, this dichotomy has been the state of the practice, in large
part.  Academics have not often embraced the large scale needs of industry
and industrial folks have been too quick to just code up whatever is expedient.
   I'm hoping that my group's approach of providing a free, formal upper
ontology, and incrementally providing free domain specific ontologies will
help, at least in a small way, to change the state of things.    (01)

Adam    (02)

--
at http://ontolog.cim3.org/forums/ontolog    (04)