Re: [ontolog] UBL in the Press

To: ontolog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Leo Obrst <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 21:12:29 -0500
Amen, Bill. I am a strong advocate of top-down ontologies (and  so I recuse
myself), and so will not say more than you've said, except: The best approach
(in
my view) is a mixed top/bottom: harvest the documents you need to cover from the
bottom-up, induce their requirements upward, and come down from the top with
principles that seem to match.    (01)

Leo    (02)

"William E. McCarthy" wrote:    (03)

> No matter how loud the marketing drumbeats get for UBL, there can be no
> disputing that it represents at its core a bottom-up  approach to
> developing a business process ontology.  You can generalize documents
> forever and still not unearth basic economic and business principles of
> economic exchanges.  Documents add unnecessary components (like details of
> manual reconciliations/bookkeeping and/or paper exchange).  Documents also
> hide components that should be analyzed and generalized (like
> implementation compromises of ideal models).  Additionally, I do not see
> how the state of affairs at a process or collaboration level can be tracked
> by seeing which document was sent last.
>
> Harvesting existing knowledge (as UBL does) is a good partial
> approach.  However, until UBL attacks some of these conceptual issues from
> the top down, it will be an incomplete ontological effort, no matter what
> personalities or companies are behind it.
>
> Bill McCarthy
> Michigan State
>
>   moy rAt 02:05 PM 1/18/2003 -0800, you wrote:
> >As the UBL release is nearing, we are starting to see their story covered in
> >trade press now.
> >
> >Take a look at the eWeek article:
> >
> >   Push for UBL Protocol Gathers Momentum
> >   By Darryl K. Taft / January 13, 2003
> >
> >   http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,825911,00.asp
> >
> >-ppy
> >
> >--
> >To post messages mailto:ontolog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >An archive of the [ontolog] forum can be found
> >at http://ontolog.cim3.org/forums/ontolog
>
> Bill McCarthy
> Michigan State University
> 517-432-2913
> http://www.msu.edu/user/mccarth4/
>
> --
> To post messages mailto:ontolog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> An archive of the [ontolog] forum can be found
> at http://ontolog.cim3.org/forums/ontolog    (04)

Dr. Leo Obrst  The MITRE Corporation
mailto:lobrst@xxxxxxxxx Intelligent Information Management/Exploitation
Voice: 703-883-6770 7515 Colshire Drive, M/S W640
Fax: 703-883-1379       McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA    (05)

--
at http://ontolog.cim3.org/forums/ontolog    (06)