[ontolog] UBL proposals for codesets?

To: Ontolog-forums-cim3-net <ontolog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Leo Obrst <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 15:37:19 -0400
All,    (01)

We had a discussion at the UBL workshop back in June about codesets (and
also identifiers) and how UBL should or would handle these. Has there
been additional discussion on this, or any guidelines established, etc.?
If so, can you point me to a document?    (02)

By codes and codesets I mean: a code is a shorthand for some concept,
e.g., a two- or three-character representation for a specific country.
Another example: the two-character US state code representing (and
abbreviating) the state, e.g., ME for Maine. In general, a code is an
abbreviation, a more compact representation for a concept (to minimize
storage as opposed to maximizing human readability/interpretation).    (03)

One of the issues in ontologies and business of course is that often
these codes (and different, possibly conflicting codesets) are used
willy-nilly as the only representation for the concept or in the
database.    (04)

Thanks!
Leo    (05)

Dr. Leo Obrst  The MITRE Corporation
mailto:lobrst@xxxxxxxxx Intelligent Information Management/Exploitation
Voice: 703-883-6770 7515 Colshire Drive, M/S W640
Fax: 703-883-1379       McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA    (06)

--
To post messages mailto:ontolog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
An archive of the [ontolog] forum can be found