Re: [ontolog] UBL proposals for codesets?

To: ontolog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Leo Obrst <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 12:02:47 -0500
Mike,

One issue with your suggestion is that, hypothetically, a concept Uruguay then really has no connection to UR or URY (these are fictitious) but only to CODESET1 and CODESET2 or perhaps you mean to CODESET1[Uruguay's index],  CODESET2[Uruguay's index]? This is therefore just a syntactic relation. One problem is: there may be no one-to-one relation between a given concept and a codeset and so also many-to-many relations between 2 codesets. But if you have an ontology node, say "ball peen hammer" and a few codesets (i.e, think of a taxonomic codeset such as the UNSPSC and NAICS), you might have to have multiple mappings.

There is obviously a semantic relation between codesets and the individual codesets should be semantically codified too. I don't disagree with that.

Re Uruguay as a concept: although it can be considered an instance typically, there are often strong reasons to have it as a concept  (eg., in a belief space where there are multiple Uruguay instances, etc).

Leo

MDaconta@xxxxxxx wrote:

Hi All,

This is an interesting difference of opinion on the meaning of a code in a
code set.  I do not believe you associate the semantics with the code itself
but with the code set or list.  In other words, the code is just an index
into a code set.  So, I would say that the burden for understanding the
semantics of a code lies with the code set and not with an individual
code.  The only burden a user of the code has (in terms of semantics)
would be to properly refer to its code set.  In turn, the code set, should
refer to an ontology that explains the semantics behind the codes.

Just my 2 cents,

- Mike