[ontolog-admin] Ontolog Invited Speaker - Michael Gruninger - Thu 2004.

To: Michael Gruninger <gruning@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ontolog-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Evan Wallace <ewallace@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 17:10:41 -0700
Dear Dr. Gruninger,    (01)

Thank you very much for confirming your acceptance to invitation we
extended through Evan Wallace, to speak to the Ontolog-Forum on Sep. 16,
2004. I am writing to provide further details and some administrivia on
the event.    (02)

This will be a 1.5 to 2 hour event conducted in the form of a virtual
presentation (approx. 45 min.) over a phone conference that is augmented
by online presentation material, followed by an open discussion (about
30 min.).  This will be scheduled during our our regular weekly call on
Thursdays, 1:30pm to 3:00pm (quite possibly extending to 3:30pm) Eastern
Time    (03)

As mentioned, the other [ontolog] co-conveners and I are looking towards
bringing some of our activities at [ontolog] to more closely align with
pertinent government (NIST included, obviously) strategies and
initiatives; and to foster working relationships with government groups
that are working in the semantic technology space. Your talking to the
group and affording us a chance to have an open dialog would be most
helpful towards that end.    (04)

I shall look forward to receiving from you, at your convenience
(hopefully before the end of this month):    (05)

(a) a short biographic sketch of yourself. In addition, if you can
provide (links to) slightly more extended bio/intro of you and your
work, that would be even better. It would be fine if you just supply the
URL's to these material (if something appropriate is already available
online),    (06)

(b) a recent picture of yours (about 150x150 pixels, in png, jpg or gif
format),    (07)

(c) a title of your talk, and    (08)

(d) an abstract of your talk (anywhere from a few sentences to a couple
of paragraphs will do).    (09)

Once I get the above, I will start circulating the information among the
community, so that people could mark their calendars and plan to attend.
Closer to the time, I will coordinate with you on getting your
powerpoint or other presentation material online, so that they could be
accessed virtually during the talk.    (010)

For your reference, please feel free to check out the wiki pages of
similar recent presentations, like the ones given by  Steve Ray of NIST
(see http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2004_02_12),
or one the by Brand Niemann on eGov (see
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2004_04_22)    (011)

Additionally, we have been recording (some, so far, since this is still
a volunteer effort; but the intent is to do it for all) our presentation
sessions and make the streaming audio available online, along with the
presentation material. May I, on behalf of ontolog, request your
permission to do so. (Please refer to our IPR policy at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl#nid036).    (012)

Once again, thank you very much for agreeing to speak, and to having a
dialog with our community. I shall look forward to the event, and to
collaborating with you in the future. Feel free to contact the
undersigned if there is any question.    (013)

Sincerely,
PPY    (014)

Peter P. Yim  (650-578-9998)
[ontolog] forum, co-convener