iaoa-swao

[iaoa-swao] [workshop proposal v.10] RE(2): IAOA - SWAO SIG - PC list fo

To: <iaoa-swao@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Frank Loebe" <frank.loebe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 12:08:06 +0100
Dear all,    (01)

[TS]
> "Sorry for the last minute nit"    (02)

even worse from my side: I found a few places in the abstract for which I'd
have had suggestions. After noticing that the Abstract in v.9 exceeds 200
words (244 based on MS Word's counting; [1] requires 200), I decided to make
an attempt of further revision and propose the result below and in the
attachment (200 words now; tracking changes is on and shows modifications
compared to v.9).    (03)

In v.10's topic list, I adopted Todd's proposal and added a missing line
break before the (now) last list item.     (04)

I may have a few more ideas on arranging the topic list (maybe in two
levels), I haven't gone in detail through the motivation section and could
do all that only later (possibly tonight (CET)). If at all considered, such
edits may not need to be finalized in the version for PC invitations? Then
those invitations could be pursued, while further proposals may be used for
the final submission to ISWC.    (05)

Overall, all of this may be too late and I'm not sure whether it creates
more problems than being helpful (e.g. being a non-native speaker). It's
just a proposal - please feel free to ignore it, either for now or
completely. Anyone should please let me know if s/he perceives additional
proposals (e.g. on topic list or motivation section) as counterproductive.    (06)

For plain-text access and comparison, the Abstracts in v.10 and v.9 are
inserted below.    (07)

Best regards,
Frank    (08)

[1] http://iswc2014.fbk.eu/call-for-workshop-proposals    (09)

== Abstract v.10 ==    (010)

Since the origin of the Semantic Web, ontologies have played key roles in
its design and deployment. Yet the collaboration between the Semantic Web
and Applied Ontology communities has remained limited. Within Big Data
applications, ontologies appear to have little impact. Principal problems
suggest nevertheless that "concepts without data are empty, data without
concepts are blind" (Kant paraphrased).    (011)

This interdisciplinary workshop is organized by the Semantic Web Applied
Ontology SIG of the International Association for Ontology and its
Applications (IAOA). Continuing the theme of Ontology Summit 2014, it aims
at building bridges between the Semantic Web, Linked Data, Big Data, and
Applied Ontology communities. The three former communities bring a wide
array of real challenges (such as heterogeneity, schema quality,
performance, and scalability) and technologies (such as automated reasoning
tools) that are relevant to ontology research. The Applied Ontology
community can offer a large body of common reusable content (ontologies) and
ontological analysis techniques. Ontology engineering bottlenecks are
critical for all communities.     (012)

We invite submissions on the development and application of ontologies for
Semantic Web, Linked or Big Data projects that focus on the primary
challenges in areas of interaction, for synthesizing new insights and
disseminating knowledge across field boundaries.    (013)

== Abstract v.9 ==    (014)

Ever since the origin of the Semantic Web, ontologies have played key roles
in its design and deployment. Yet over the years, the level of collaboration
between the Semantic Web and Applied Ontology communities has been much less
than expected. Within Big Data applications, ontologies appear to have had
little impact. Paraphrasing Kant: "concepts without data are empty, data
without concepts are blind."    (015)

This workshop is organized by the Semantic Web Applied Ontology SIG of the
International Association for Ontology and its Applications (IAOA).
Continuing the theme of Ontology Summit 2014, it aims at building bridges
between the Semantic Web, Linked Data, Big Data, and Applied Ontology
communities. On the one hand, the Semantic Web, Linked Data, and Big Data
communities can bring a wide array of real problems (such as performance and
scalability challenges and the variety problem in Big Data) and technologies
(such as automated reasoning tools) that are relevant to ontologies. On the
other hand, the Applied Ontology community can bring a large body of common
reusable content (ontologies) and ontological analysis techniques.
Identifying and overcoming ontology engineering bottlenecks is critical for
all communities.     (016)

This workshop will pose and address the primary challenges in these areas of
interaction among the different communities.  We will invite submission of
abstracts discussing and/or demonstrating the development and application of
ontologies for projects with semantic web or linked data approach, bringing
together theories, methods and examples synthesizing new insights, and
disseminating knowledge across field boundaries.    (017)

Msg Archives: http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/iaoa-swao/
File-share: http://iaoa.cim3.net/file/work/SIG/SemanticWeb-AppliedOntology/
SIG Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?IAOA_SWAO_SIG
Activities Blog: http://iaoa-activities.blogspot.com/ ...(coming!)
To join: please email the SIG conveners or to: info[at]iaoa.org
IAOA website: http://iaoa.org     (01)