bsp-forum

Re: [bsp-forum] Great Workshop, some questions and comments

To: "Building Service Performance (BSP) Forum" <bsp-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "ibcomm@xxxxxxx" <ibcomm@xxxxxxx>
From: "Deborah MacPherson" <debmacp@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 10:53:27 -0400
Thanks Toby - in theory, wouldn't OASIS be an ideal Liaison Organization with NBIMS and perhaps to some extent the Open Geospatial Consortium? Aren't the objectives heading in the same direction even if the detailed work is accomplished on different levels? Take OBIX for example, would members of your technical committee eventually convene with members of appropriate NBIMS committee, perhaps in the form of a workgroup, interoperability activities or subject matter experts? It seems the terms workgroup, liaison, and subject matter experts are consistently used - technical committee seems to vary. Deborah

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 9:38 AM, Considine, Toby (Campus Services IT) <Toby.Considine@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Someday maybe NBIMS standards will disappear and not be expressed "... explicitly

>> since they are fundamental to so many other applications and specifications that we

>>  take them for granted."

>> RE: develop, publish, advertise and maintain their own facilities-related Resource Lists

>> to use this methodology and technique - is like a format or template for those tasks all

>> the way through the process?

I know that from my perspective, that is the future of oBIX. Without the higher abstractions, even most simple conversations are nonsensical

Security: "Secure this sensor" "Secure Contact Closure 7" What would that mean? Compare to "Secure all sensors in the Surgery Areas" "Restrict access to Operating Schedule for Clinical Environmental Controls to…"

Operations: See above

IN 2005, when imagining the future abstractions that oBIX would need, I reported that the next steps were

Functional Domain Services used by Owners, Operators, and Tenants

n        WS-Buildings HVAC (based on GPC 20)

n        WS-Buildings Power

n        WS-Buildings Access Control

n        WS-Buildings Intrusion Detection

n        WS-Buildings CCTV

n        WS-Buildings Occupancy

And the cross-cutting

Analytics and Cross-Domain Abstractions

n        WS-Buildings Performance (M&V, commissioning)

n        WS-Buildings Analytics

n        WS-Buildings Tenant Services

Not sure this aligns with BSP today, but it is similar to what you are describing…

tc

"A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying ... that he is wiser today than yesterday." -- Jonathan Swift

Toby Considine

Chair, OASIS oBIX TC
Facilities Technology Office
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC

Email: Toby.Considine@ unc.edu
Phone: (919)962-9073

http://www.oasis-open.org

blog: www.NewDaedalus.com

Thanks for your responses, it will take some time to wade through them but no time like the present. Especially I need to look hard at this Umbel configuration and learn more about it.

In regards to the health workshop, next years CSI Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference will be in Charlottesville VA and one of the construction tours is a new hospital cancer center. The spaces are specially designed to meet health and spiritual requirements that are atypical of hospital design. Of course hospitals have TONS of equipment, like sensors, not only for indoor air quality but literally people's health. Maybe that architect could participate in the workshop.

Someday maybe NBIMS standards will disappear and not be expressed "... explicitly since they are fundamental to so many other applications and specifications that we take them for granted."

RE: develop, publish, advertise and maintain their own facilities-related Resource Lists to use this methodology and technique - is like a format or template for those tasks all the way through the process?

Deborah