bsp-forum

Re: [bsp-forum] Fwd: Re: BIM>GIS Semtalk and OWL

To: "BSP Forum" <bsp-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Kimon Onuma <KO@xxxxxxxxx>
From: "Deborah MacPherson" <debmacp@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 13:03:07 -0400
Hi Bob and all -

The visual semantic tool sounds perfect - probably going from MF2004 to OCCS Table 22 "is-a" while over to the codes and performance requirements is "see-also" or "part-of" instead, UniFormat is broad and can help generalize the building systems and components.  This is the best to use for BIMstorm because its only tracking exterior enclosure or an HVAC system rather than the details in construction documents.

When I met with David Connover at ICC he explained the SMARTcodes as follows - the x axis is all the building codes, the y axis are variations by each jurisdiction. If you are complying with a plumbing code but located in a certain area, the qualifications AND the code would be retrieved based on where the project is located. Below the codes are standards such as ASTM tests to ensure the work as installed actually does meet the codes.  Eventually a model checker can match up building codes to the building model to see doors are swinging the right way in a path of egress and so on.  So - ICC will end up with this gigantic matrix to pluck from based on the building structure, use group, location, and unique architectural design. Emergency response is like a new building code but just for the models. I'm not sure what we need to comply with yet.

The propsed templates assume there could be a monstrously huge relational database of ALL codes, ALL standards, ALL MasterFormat sections, ALL UniFormat sections, ALL OmniClass tables, and a realistic survey of typical or urgent Owner and jurisdiction requirements that are not in the codes, standards, or classification systems yet.  Take all of that and assume it could be related at some point in the future.

The templates are the exact opposite. They are not every conceivable combination, they are compact portraits or sample combinations of what may be "pluck-out-able" in the future - currently the ALL, ALL, ALL, ALL is not mapped yet, plus each of these codes, standards, and classification systems are always always changing. Its an attempt to trace complete working sets - why not Orange County & Huntington Beach's Building Codes/EIR  to  a set of buildings.

I'm trying to focus on the turnover when the design and construction specifications change their purpose to operations, maintenance, and local jurisdiction or even EIR requirements. Some of the spec information will be removed or hidden, other requirements will be added.

In regards to concerns about firestopping, building structure or assemblies - someone from Underwriters Laboratories could be beneficial to talk with. They must be working on some kind of model checking too I bet. They are already experts at risk assessment.

Last, what about a kick off call - what about some time this Friday?

Deborah