RE: [uos-convene] Lattice of theories

To: "Chris Menzel" <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>, "Upper Ontology Summit convention" <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Uschold, Michael F" <michael.f.uschold@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 20:05:51 -0800
> I agree that relative interpretability is important.  But who uses the    (01)

> word "subsumption" for it?    (02)

Chris Menzel says:    (03)

Probbly no one; but -- ignoring the fact that the term is deeply
entrenched in AI/KE literature -- conceptually speaking, "subsumption"
is surely a reasonable term for relative interpretability; surely there
is a reasonable sense in which, say, ZF subsumes Peano Arithmetic.

While you may well come up with a  logical rational basis for using the
term 'subsumption' for this, I think it is a bad idea (socially) since
it is likely to cause a lot of confusion. Subsumption, tends to be a
synonym for isa.    (05)

MIke     (06)