Re: [uos-convene] Lattice of theories

To: Upper Ontology Summit convention <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Dagobert Soergel <dsoergel@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:13:10 -0500
"Register of theories" should go on the issue list for tomorrow.    (01)

DS    (02)

At 3/13/2006 04:08 PM, you wrote:
>Chris,
>
>The point I have been emphasizing even more than the
>lattice of all possible theories is the need for a
>*registry* of actually specified and tested theories.
>
>Among the relationships to be recorded in the registry
>are implication/entailment, analogy (or whatever you
>want to call it), and many, many others, including
>who defined them, used them, tested them, etc.
>
>We should also agree on some standard terminology
>for the relations of theories:
>
>  1. I have never liked the word "subsumption" -- partly
>     for the reason that it can be interpreted in many
>     ways (as you did in your note).  I'd rather just
>     call it implication or entailment.
>
>  2. That's an excellent reason for getting rid of the
>     word "subsumption":  "... ZF subsumes Peano Arithmetic".
>     By using Goedel numbering, you could also say that
>     arithmetic subsumes all sorts of theories.  That may
>     be theoretically interesting, but hopelessly confusing
>     for any serious discussion of practical problems.
>
>  3. Relative interpretability is a big mouthful to say
>     or type, and it's hard to explain without getting
>     into lots of technical issues.  I use analogy because
>     that's what Bohr did when he renamed the sun and earth
>     the proton and electron for his model of the H atom.
>
>Just one other point:
>
>CM> Is not subset the arc relation in the lattice under that
> > understanding?
>
>It is true that if theory T1 implies T2, then T2 is a subset
>of T1 and vice versa.  However, that can be confusing, since
>(a) the directions of the two relations are opposite, and
>(b) implication is a logical relation (which is the main point)
>and subset is a secondary issue that distracts attention.
>
>John

>Message Archives: http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/uos-convene/
>To Post: mailto:uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Community Portal: http://ontolog.cim3.net/
>Shared Files:
>http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/UpperOntologySummit/uos-convene/
>Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit    (03)

Dagobert Soergel
College of Information Studies
University of Maryland
4105 Hornbake Library
College Park, MD 20742-4345
Office: 301-405-2037     Home:  703-823-2840        Mobile: 703-585-2840
OFax:   301-314-9145        HFax: 703-823-6427
dsoergel@xxxxxxx     www.dsoergel.com     (04)

Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit    (05)