Re: [uos-convene] An Urgent Meeting to Finalize the UOS Agenda

To: uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Michael Gruninger <mudcat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:26:19 -0500 (EST)
Sorry Peter,
I'm on the out of the office, and I won't be able to make any
call this afternoon.    (01)

However, here is my position:
The agenda should maximize discussions; presentations can always be
given in telecons.    (02)

Furthermore, Tuesday is really a working meeting, not a mini-workshop
for the public. Perhaps the speakers could distribute their ideas
(as slides, papers, or stream-of-consciousness thoughts) before
Tuesday, so that everyone can be prepared for actual work discussions.    (03)

Other than this, I agree with Pat's comments from his earlier message:    (04)

>     But the main purpose of the Tuesday meeting is to determine whether
> there is any merit in trying to find relations among the existing upper
> ontologies, and to the extent that Adam's suggestion prejudges that
> issue, it is not in keeping with the intended purpose of that part of
>  the conference.  Any of the panelists can present their case that
> OpenCyc, SUMO, and DOLCE are the main upper ontologies that contend for
> adoption by others - and some others may agree.  The organizing
> committee believed that each of the panelists, and some of the key
> participants, would have important contributions to make in any project
> undertaken to interrelate existing upper ontologies.  Doug Lenat
> mentioned that he has "decades of actual experiences doing this that we
> can share with you", and I don't disagree.  But insofar as the main
> focus of Tuesday is to discover whether there is any merit in
> interrelating the existing upper ontologies, it does not seem to me
> likely that any presentations on Tuesday that are not specifically
> directed at that question will advance a resolution of the question.    (05)

- michael
Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit    (06)