Re: [uom-ontology-std] What is mass?

To: "'uom-ontology-std'" <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 15:09:35 +0100
Dear Gunther,    (01)

> Is there a way to get that back to the actual UoM
> discussion? Could you phrase the disputed issue
> in 2 succinct contrasting statements that are about
> our subject matter at hand?
>
> As for the sheep example Mathew give below, I am
> confused. I may be just a doctor and software engineer,
> not a chemical engineer that I would know much about
> the fine points of your dispute, but to me it seems
> that you would not make 2 definitions for sets of
> sheep (two-eyed and four-legged) if you were not
> interested in a difference here. And if you are interested
> in a difference, then the two sets are not the same
> even though their extension may be.     (02)

MW: Apparently you are not a mathematician either.    (03)

If you examine set theory you will find that two sets are the same if
they have the same extension.    (04)

> But presumably
> you didn't know that before you defined your two sets
> and then determined their extensions (yes I like to
> drag epistemology into ontology).     (05)

MW: Since all the sheep in the field had 2 eyes and 4 legs, it was
always going to turn out that when you looked at them you would find
this out. We were not considering what might have been, only what is.    (06)

> But still I don't
> know quite what's the point?    (07)

MW: I don't know. I am not the one that brought this stuff up. I am just
the one that is having their position misrepresented. I merely reserve
the right to correct those that do this.    (08)

Regards    (09)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (010)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in
England and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (011)