Re: [uom-ontology-std] FW: Quantity kinds

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Leal <david.leal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 08:19:36 -0700

On Sep 10, 2009, at 2:55 AM, David Leal wrote:    (01)

> Dear Hajo,
>
> This is on fringe of set theory - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_set
>  .
>
> The powerset (or powerclass) of the set S is the set of all subsets
> of S.
> Sometimes the powerset/powerclass of S is denoted S*. (Neither the
> term
> "powerclass" nor the notation S* is used in the Wikipedia page.)    (02)

BTW, in case y'all ever come across it, this is also sometimes written
as 2|S, ie 2 to the power S. This is because a subclass of S can be
thought of as a function from S to the set {0,1}  - which is the
standard way in set-theoretic foundations of mathematics to encode the
number two - the elements of the subset being those elements of S that
are mapped to the ! rather than the 0. This is why it is called the
'power set'.    (03)

BTW, the usage of "meta" in your diagram is highly nonstandard in set
theory and logic, though I know it is widely used in current ontology
engineering. I mention this only to avoid possible future
misunderstandings.    (04)

Pat Hayes    (05)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (07)