Re: [uom-ontology-std] retitled: magnitude of a quantity

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ed Barkmeyer <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 15:34:25 -0400
Rijgersberg, Hajo wrote:
> Please allow me to make a comment on dimensions and measures in OUM (from
> the forthcoming concept paper):
>

> Units of measure and quantities have a dimension. Dimensions are abstract
> properties of units and quantities neglecting their vectorial or
> tensorial character and all numerical factors including their sign.
> Dimensions can be expressed as the products of powers of base quantities
> of a system of units.    (01)

Being careful, this definition of "dimension" specifies what is ignored
in the representation of a "quantity (magnitude)".  It doesn't say what
the abstraction _is_.    (02)

One possible interpretation of "dimension" is 'quantity kind' -- the
nature of the quantity, the nature of the property being measured, such
as linear spatial displacement (length), or force distributed over a
spatial area (pressure).  This is the way Pat Hayes used the word.    (03)

The other interpretation is a relationship to 'base quantities'
(quantity kinds) from a 'system of units', which relates the nature of
the quantity to the natures other quantities.  (The 'quantity kind' is
_not_ a relationship to base quantities; it acquires that relationship
when a system of units is chosen.)    (04)

As Hajo says, this latter interpretation can be "represented by" a
formula that is a product of powers of base units, where each unit
represents a base quantity.  But, because that formula is in "lowest
terms", a given units formula does not uniquely identify a dimension.
For example, torque and energy are different dimensions (in either
sense), but they have the same 'dimensional formula' in base units.  And
obviously, each choice of a system of units will produce a different
formula.    (05)

(The problem is that the nature of 'angle', for example, can be conveyed
by arc length / radius, but the two elements of the relationship are
both lengths, and in the units formula, the result is length to the
power 0.  length/length and length^0 are different relationships.
Powers of units alone do not convey the relationships to the base
quantities.)    (06)

> The above is mainly based on Cohen, E.R. and Giacomo, P. (1987):
> Symbols, units, nomenclature and fundamental constants in physics.
> 1987 revision. Document I.U.P.A.P.-25 (SUNAMCO 87-1). International
> Union of Pure and Applied Physics, SUNAMCO Commission.    (07)

-Ed    (08)

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                FAX: +1 301-975-4694    (09)